Wow! My shift seriously went from one extreme to the other. I was the floatee RN tonight and basically covered lunches for the first half of the shift the other was filled with many bizarre cases.
1st: An extremely large man came in with an open sore on his foot that was openly weeping a fluid of some sort. The sore was so deep I could see the infected tissue and the bone. Well in order to fix the broken ankle he had to be sedated. He didn't go down easy and kept yelling, "It's not pain free yet!! It's not pain free yet!!" The wound was an amazing display of pus and juices.
2nd: Pediatric central opened up later that night. We had everything from multiple actively seizing children to a baby coming in with nurse maid elbow--if you child starts screaming after falling or picking him up plz don't come to the ER, call me he probably popped his elbow out of place.
3rd: An older man came in by ambulance after cardiac arresting. One of the worst parts of this job is watching a family cry as the doctor tells them there is no hope for their husband/dad. You fight like crazy to keep their heart beating only to find out their brain checked out.
4th: Drunken Idiots--These people always provide the most entertaining stories. This morning I two young drunks show up, one with a cop the other with friends. One had a bloody face because he decided to resist arrest and was completely out of control. The idiot kept talking back to the cop and totally not cooperating with us. I'm glad he was in handcuffs when I stuck a needle in his arm. The other man had his friends sitting there telling him over and over and over and over to sit down and relax while I sucked blood and convinced him it was okay to urinate in a cup. I seriously had to leave the room a few times I was laughing so hard. Yeah, its not quite a weekend shift until I've had a drunk person yell the f word at me 10 times. Oh the joys of getting drunk.
Now its almost 8 am and I am wide awake begging for sleep. Gotta love the night shift :D
No comments:
Post a Comment