In the last 6 weeks I have spoken in church more than I have in the last 3 years. It amazing how it never gets easier. But upon request here is my last talk.
Living Lessons Learned
Despite what I think, I’m really not that old. In this short time I’ve learned a few things. I’ve learned how to walk in high heels and not fall over. I’ve learned how to burn a batch of sugar cookies. I’ve learned how to save a person’s life. I’ve learned how to just be me and love it. But for me the greatest lessons have come from understanding the things I learned in Young Women’s. While there are many, today I want to focus on a few topics given in the Strength of Youth Pamphlet:
Gratitude
In Strength of Youth and True to the Faith we learn the following about gratitude:
“Live with a spirit of thanksgiving and you will have a greater happiness and satisfaction n life. Even in your most difficult times, you can find much to be grateful for. Doing so will strengthen and bless you.” Strength of Youth
Gratitude is an uplifting, exalting attitude. People are generally happier when they have gratitude in their hearts. We cannot be bitter, resentful, or mean-spirited when we are grateful. We should be thankful for the wonderful blessings that are ours and for the tremendous opportunities we have.” True to the faith
So how does one develop an attitude of gratitude? Simply do as the hymn suggests—Count your many blessings. Coming home from my adventure on the USNS Comfort I was grateful for many things. My private shower, the fact that I don’t have to hike up 8 flights of stair every morning for breakfast, and that I would not have to wake up to the PA system announcing reveille reveille at 0500 every morning. In addition to these things I am grateful for the people of the countries I visited. They taught me that no matter what your circumstance you can be happy. One woman—the mother of one of my patients was so grateful after talking to the surgeon, to have all of her teeth removed. A few years earlier she had been fitted poorly with a few fake teeth but it had since warped and was now incredibly painful. I have never met anyone so happy and grateful to have all of their teeth pulled as she was. She had no teeth to smile with but that did not stop her at all.
Many times I have found myself in a slump or feeling bad for myself as I’m sure many of you have. I focus on what I don’t have and give into the frustrations and pain that come along with that. One of the greatest cures is to drop on my knees and thank Heavenly Father for my blessings. To have Him open my eyes to the incredible gifts and opportunities I have in my life. I know we are supposed to give challenges at the end of the talk but I am breaking that rule and will give you one now. For this week and I hope longer, at the end of your day express only gratitude in your nightly prayers. By taking the time to reflect on your day and thank Heavenly Father, I testify you will see the small blessings and tender mercies you may have missed. When you are frustrated, angry, or depressed take out a notebook and make a list of things you are grateful for. It will change your perspective on your day and week. There is power in an attitude of gratitude. This attitude is a choice. Which leads into my next lesson.
Agency & Accountability
President Utchdorf Teaches us the following:
As we strive to understand, internalize, and live correct gospel principles, we will become more spiritually self-reliant. The principle of spiritual self-reliance grows out of a fundamental doctrine of the Church: God has granted us agency. I believe that moral agency is one of the greatest gifts of God unto His children, next to life itself.
Our agency is a gift. We are here to choose and consequently Life is full of choices. Some are simple the snickers bar or the carrot stick—the snickers is always the right choice. To decisions that will mold and shape who you will become. But whatever choice we make there will be consequences. For example, I have an old roommate who seemed to live life like there were no consequences. As a result, I spent the night in the ER supporting her through a rape exam. While the rape was not her fault she had made some poor choices in going out with a strange boy to an unknown location and participating in activities that would encourage the boy. No matter how hard we try we don’t choose the consequences of our actions.
One of my favorite scriptures is 2 Nephi 2:14
“And now my sons and daughters, I speak unto you these things for you profit and learning for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.”
I love the phrase Both things to act and things to be acted upon. It shows us that we have all the power in the world. Ask yourself, will you allow Satan and the influences of the world to act on you and direct your life or will you take charge and act for yourself. We all have that power to choose where we want to go and who we want to become. Will you act or be acted upon?
Education
I thought once I had my college degree I was done learning for a while—yeah I wish. The Strength of Youth states this about education:
“The Lord wants you to educate your mind and improve your skills and abilities. Education will help you to be an influence for good in the world . Maintain an enthusiasm for learning throughout your life. Find joy in continuing to learn about yourself, other people, and the world around you. “
I wish you could see the list of things I want to learn and do in this life. If I didn’t have to sleep I could probably get ½ of it done. There are so many things about this world to learn and discover that our education should never stop. I love nursing. It is a field that keeps me on my toes. At every shift I learn something new that helps me better care for my patients. Education has opened doors to service, growth, and opportunities I would not have experienced otherwise.
While education of the world is important and necessary the spiritual education we gain is more important. D&C 88 reads:
Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all thing that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; That ye may be prepared in all thing when I shall send you again to magnify the calling where unto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you
I love learning about the world I love in. But lately as I have studied, not just read, the scriptures and the words of the prophets I have begun to understand more of who I am and what my potential is in this life. There is great confidence in knowing we are children of God. There is peace is knowing we are here for a purpose—we just have to learn what that is. But by studying His words and acting on them we learn we are not in it alone. Education is more than learning from books it is acting on the knowledge we receive.
Service
We all have the desire to serve, but as President Utchdorf suggests this,
“We cannot receive the blessings of the gospel merely by observing the good that others do. We need to get off the sidelines and practice what we preach.”
The Strength of Youth goes along with this by saying:
Service to others is one of the most important characteristics of a disciple of Jesus Christ. A disciple is willing to bear other peoples burdens and to comfort those who need comfort. Often Heavenly Father will meet the needs of others through you. Often the most important service is expressed through simple, everyday acts of kindness.
By doing so our lives will be blessed and our hearts turned toward the Savior. Onboard the USNS comfort I met a number of people who had given up months of their lives to serve. Most of them were not LDS but still felt the need to use their gifts and abilities to bless others. As a result many lives were changed.
One example is Arturo, he is 27 year old who because of a seizure disorder had the mindset of an 8 year old. Arturo came with his mom on board the ship to have an inguinal hernia repaired it had gotten so bad that his small intestine had fallen far enough into his scrotal sac to make it hang past his knees. The hernia had started over 2 years ago but his mom could not afford the surgery to have it repaired. He had also been born with his wrist at a 90 degree angle. In just 2 days Arturo had his hernia repaired and his arm corrected so he could use it. He was so sweet and kind as he woke up, saying thank you and blowing kisses to everyone. He had been through so much pain in his life but he remained happy. All his mom could say was thank you.
Service has the power to unite people of different faiths, to soften hearts, and refine us into better disciples of Christ if we will look for them. There are many different kinds of service. You don’t have to go on a big boat out in the middle of the ocean to serve. Simple acts of kindness, washing the dishes so mom can have the night off, listening to a friend or sibling who may be having a bad day, and saying hi to people as you pass by them often go unnoticed but make the most difference.
One of the greatest lessons we can learn is to serve. By asking our Heavenly Father to open our eyes to the opportunities that surround us we will find people who need our help. To touch the lives of others. The focus is taken off ourselves and put in lifting and blessing those around us. You never know when a simple smile or act can change the day or life of someone.
Going Forward With Faith
While lessons of service, education, agency, and gratitude are important, one of the greatest lessons we can learn is to simply go forward with faith.
I love this quote by President Hinckley,
“When I discuss faith, I do not mean it in an abstract sense. I mean it as a living, vital force with recognition of God as our Father and Jesus Christ as our Savior. When we accept this basic premise, there will come an acceptance of their teachings and an obedience, which will bring peace and joy in this life and exaltation in the life to come.
Faith is not a theological platitude. It is a fact of life. Faith can become the very wellspring of purposeful living. There is no more compelling motivation to worthwhile endeavor than the knowledge that we are children of God, the Creator of the universe, our all-wise Heavenly Father! God expects us to do something with our lives, and he will give us help when help is sought. “
We as Latter-day Saints have been blessed with the knowledge and tools needed to succeed in this world. Despite the darkness and never ending doom that surrounds us we can live in happiness and peace by following the things we have been taught. I have grown up in Utah my whole life so being aboard the Comfort was my first big real world experience. I was asked about my beliefs and why I did what I do. Some of them thought I was crazy. But as I interacted more with them and developed friendships I began to understand that they weren’t happy. Many were searching for meaning and purpose outside of drinking and partying. They only lived for the moment instead of knowing the amazing life awaiting them on the other side.
Is it by Faith in our Savior that we can look beyond the moment and live in a way that will bring us back to our Father in Heaven. It by Faith in our Savior that we can find the strength to stand as Children of God. It is by Faith in our Savior that we can find the strength we need to do something with our lives.
The promises given on the last page of the Strength of Youth are powerful.
“When you do these things, referring to the standards and commandments we have been given, the Lord will make much more out of your life than you can by yourself. He will increase your opportunities, expand your vision, and strengthen you. He will give you the help you need to meet your trials and challenges. You will find true joy as you come to know you Father in Heaven and Hi Son, Jesus Christ, and feel their love for you.
I want to bear my testimony that these things are true. The Lord has given us the tools and guidelines we need to live and grow in this world. I have only touched on a few of them. I testify that he keeps his promises given above. I am only beginning but the Lord has provided me with opportunities and experiences that have taught me who I really am, but more importantly who he can help me become. He is always there for us if we will seek Him out. By doing this we will feel the love and power that is desperately needed in this world.
Living Lessons Learned
Despite what I think, I’m really not that old. In this short time I’ve learned a few things. I’ve learned how to walk in high heels and not fall over. I’ve learned how to burn a batch of sugar cookies. I’ve learned how to save a person’s life. I’ve learned how to just be me and love it. But for me the greatest lessons have come from understanding the things I learned in Young Women’s. While there are many, today I want to focus on a few topics given in the Strength of Youth Pamphlet:
Gratitude
In Strength of Youth and True to the Faith we learn the following about gratitude:
“Live with a spirit of thanksgiving and you will have a greater happiness and satisfaction n life. Even in your most difficult times, you can find much to be grateful for. Doing so will strengthen and bless you.” Strength of Youth
Gratitude is an uplifting, exalting attitude. People are generally happier when they have gratitude in their hearts. We cannot be bitter, resentful, or mean-spirited when we are grateful. We should be thankful for the wonderful blessings that are ours and for the tremendous opportunities we have.” True to the faith
So how does one develop an attitude of gratitude? Simply do as the hymn suggests—Count your many blessings. Coming home from my adventure on the USNS Comfort I was grateful for many things. My private shower, the fact that I don’t have to hike up 8 flights of stair every morning for breakfast, and that I would not have to wake up to the PA system announcing reveille reveille at 0500 every morning. In addition to these things I am grateful for the people of the countries I visited. They taught me that no matter what your circumstance you can be happy. One woman—the mother of one of my patients was so grateful after talking to the surgeon, to have all of her teeth removed. A few years earlier she had been fitted poorly with a few fake teeth but it had since warped and was now incredibly painful. I have never met anyone so happy and grateful to have all of their teeth pulled as she was. She had no teeth to smile with but that did not stop her at all.
Many times I have found myself in a slump or feeling bad for myself as I’m sure many of you have. I focus on what I don’t have and give into the frustrations and pain that come along with that. One of the greatest cures is to drop on my knees and thank Heavenly Father for my blessings. To have Him open my eyes to the incredible gifts and opportunities I have in my life. I know we are supposed to give challenges at the end of the talk but I am breaking that rule and will give you one now. For this week and I hope longer, at the end of your day express only gratitude in your nightly prayers. By taking the time to reflect on your day and thank Heavenly Father, I testify you will see the small blessings and tender mercies you may have missed. When you are frustrated, angry, or depressed take out a notebook and make a list of things you are grateful for. It will change your perspective on your day and week. There is power in an attitude of gratitude. This attitude is a choice. Which leads into my next lesson.
Agency & Accountability
President Utchdorf Teaches us the following:
As we strive to understand, internalize, and live correct gospel principles, we will become more spiritually self-reliant. The principle of spiritual self-reliance grows out of a fundamental doctrine of the Church: God has granted us agency. I believe that moral agency is one of the greatest gifts of God unto His children, next to life itself.
Our agency is a gift. We are here to choose and consequently Life is full of choices. Some are simple the snickers bar or the carrot stick—the snickers is always the right choice. To decisions that will mold and shape who you will become. But whatever choice we make there will be consequences. For example, I have an old roommate who seemed to live life like there were no consequences. As a result, I spent the night in the ER supporting her through a rape exam. While the rape was not her fault she had made some poor choices in going out with a strange boy to an unknown location and participating in activities that would encourage the boy. No matter how hard we try we don’t choose the consequences of our actions.
One of my favorite scriptures is 2 Nephi 2:14
“And now my sons and daughters, I speak unto you these things for you profit and learning for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.”
I love the phrase Both things to act and things to be acted upon. It shows us that we have all the power in the world. Ask yourself, will you allow Satan and the influences of the world to act on you and direct your life or will you take charge and act for yourself. We all have that power to choose where we want to go and who we want to become. Will you act or be acted upon?
Education
I thought once I had my college degree I was done learning for a while—yeah I wish. The Strength of Youth states this about education:
“The Lord wants you to educate your mind and improve your skills and abilities. Education will help you to be an influence for good in the world . Maintain an enthusiasm for learning throughout your life. Find joy in continuing to learn about yourself, other people, and the world around you. “
I wish you could see the list of things I want to learn and do in this life. If I didn’t have to sleep I could probably get ½ of it done. There are so many things about this world to learn and discover that our education should never stop. I love nursing. It is a field that keeps me on my toes. At every shift I learn something new that helps me better care for my patients. Education has opened doors to service, growth, and opportunities I would not have experienced otherwise.
While education of the world is important and necessary the spiritual education we gain is more important. D&C 88 reads:
Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all thing that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; That ye may be prepared in all thing when I shall send you again to magnify the calling where unto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you
I love learning about the world I love in. But lately as I have studied, not just read, the scriptures and the words of the prophets I have begun to understand more of who I am and what my potential is in this life. There is great confidence in knowing we are children of God. There is peace is knowing we are here for a purpose—we just have to learn what that is. But by studying His words and acting on them we learn we are not in it alone. Education is more than learning from books it is acting on the knowledge we receive.
Service
We all have the desire to serve, but as President Utchdorf suggests this,
“We cannot receive the blessings of the gospel merely by observing the good that others do. We need to get off the sidelines and practice what we preach.”
The Strength of Youth goes along with this by saying:
Service to others is one of the most important characteristics of a disciple of Jesus Christ. A disciple is willing to bear other peoples burdens and to comfort those who need comfort. Often Heavenly Father will meet the needs of others through you. Often the most important service is expressed through simple, everyday acts of kindness.
By doing so our lives will be blessed and our hearts turned toward the Savior. Onboard the USNS comfort I met a number of people who had given up months of their lives to serve. Most of them were not LDS but still felt the need to use their gifts and abilities to bless others. As a result many lives were changed.
One example is Arturo, he is 27 year old who because of a seizure disorder had the mindset of an 8 year old. Arturo came with his mom on board the ship to have an inguinal hernia repaired it had gotten so bad that his small intestine had fallen far enough into his scrotal sac to make it hang past his knees. The hernia had started over 2 years ago but his mom could not afford the surgery to have it repaired. He had also been born with his wrist at a 90 degree angle. In just 2 days Arturo had his hernia repaired and his arm corrected so he could use it. He was so sweet and kind as he woke up, saying thank you and blowing kisses to everyone. He had been through so much pain in his life but he remained happy. All his mom could say was thank you.
Service has the power to unite people of different faiths, to soften hearts, and refine us into better disciples of Christ if we will look for them. There are many different kinds of service. You don’t have to go on a big boat out in the middle of the ocean to serve. Simple acts of kindness, washing the dishes so mom can have the night off, listening to a friend or sibling who may be having a bad day, and saying hi to people as you pass by them often go unnoticed but make the most difference.
One of the greatest lessons we can learn is to serve. By asking our Heavenly Father to open our eyes to the opportunities that surround us we will find people who need our help. To touch the lives of others. The focus is taken off ourselves and put in lifting and blessing those around us. You never know when a simple smile or act can change the day or life of someone.
Going Forward With Faith
While lessons of service, education, agency, and gratitude are important, one of the greatest lessons we can learn is to simply go forward with faith.
I love this quote by President Hinckley,
“When I discuss faith, I do not mean it in an abstract sense. I mean it as a living, vital force with recognition of God as our Father and Jesus Christ as our Savior. When we accept this basic premise, there will come an acceptance of their teachings and an obedience, which will bring peace and joy in this life and exaltation in the life to come.
Faith is not a theological platitude. It is a fact of life. Faith can become the very wellspring of purposeful living. There is no more compelling motivation to worthwhile endeavor than the knowledge that we are children of God, the Creator of the universe, our all-wise Heavenly Father! God expects us to do something with our lives, and he will give us help when help is sought. “
We as Latter-day Saints have been blessed with the knowledge and tools needed to succeed in this world. Despite the darkness and never ending doom that surrounds us we can live in happiness and peace by following the things we have been taught. I have grown up in Utah my whole life so being aboard the Comfort was my first big real world experience. I was asked about my beliefs and why I did what I do. Some of them thought I was crazy. But as I interacted more with them and developed friendships I began to understand that they weren’t happy. Many were searching for meaning and purpose outside of drinking and partying. They only lived for the moment instead of knowing the amazing life awaiting them on the other side.
Is it by Faith in our Savior that we can look beyond the moment and live in a way that will bring us back to our Father in Heaven. It by Faith in our Savior that we can find the strength to stand as Children of God. It is by Faith in our Savior that we can find the strength we need to do something with our lives.
The promises given on the last page of the Strength of Youth are powerful.
“When you do these things, referring to the standards and commandments we have been given, the Lord will make much more out of your life than you can by yourself. He will increase your opportunities, expand your vision, and strengthen you. He will give you the help you need to meet your trials and challenges. You will find true joy as you come to know you Father in Heaven and Hi Son, Jesus Christ, and feel their love for you.
I want to bear my testimony that these things are true. The Lord has given us the tools and guidelines we need to live and grow in this world. I have only touched on a few of them. I testify that he keeps his promises given above. I am only beginning but the Lord has provided me with opportunities and experiences that have taught me who I really am, but more importantly who he can help me become. He is always there for us if we will seek Him out. By doing this we will feel the love and power that is desperately needed in this world.
Awesome Melmer! I'm impressed! Wish I could have come!
ReplyDelete