Monday, July 27, 2009

The Never Ending Battle

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Mononucleosis a.k.a. the kissing disease. You can imagine all the fun jokes and remarks made after that but it made sense. Only by this time they told me it was labs indicated it was not the first time I had had it. By this time I was done with nursing school and starting my Bachelor's degree and a new job. My symptoms included:
  1. Never ending fatigue--which I justified from the starting the night shifts
  2. Decreased appetite/ nausea
  3. Sore Throat--I had gianormous tonsils at the time.
  4. Headache
  5. Bodyaches
  6. Low grade fever
  7. Swollen Lymph nodes/neck pain
The biggest thing was feeling lightheaded and almost fainting every time I stood up in addition to the fatigue. Some fun facts about mono is that you can never get rid of the virus and there is no cure for it. With me working a ton lately I have started in with many of those symptoms. I justified them all for a while. It wasn't until my mom pointed out I needed to be careful or my mono would come back. Well, I think its back anyway. I have not taken care of myself and now I'm paying the price. No energy is hard to deal with. I might just be a baby but the nasty headaches and lack of energy isn't helping my mood either. So now I am putting myself first and getting healthy again.

1 comment:

  1. auh bummer, Melissa!! Wish you were feeling much much better. I somehow thought nurses were exempt from getting sick, it should be that way in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete