Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Story of Shaun & I

Something amazing happened today. Something, to be honest, I wasn't planning on happening for a long time or even at all. Today, my best friend in the world asked me to marry him. Yeah, I'm still processing that myself. I have a fiance. I was chosen to be someone's wife. But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.  I realize I've never written down the full story of Shaun & I. So settle in and get ready to hear or read if you prefer a very sappy tale. 



In October I had decided to really try dating again. As many of my friends know I've had a interesting few years in the dating world. But I knew I had to keep trying so try I did. Being afraid of giant crowds I took the risk and signed up for match.com. Much more my speed and pace. I started sorting through some crazies and talking to some guys I was actually pretty excited about. I set up the dates and was stoked to get back in the game. 

Well on October 15, 2013 I came across this pretty hot looking guy that lived in Bountiful. With the ever impressive, "Hi," I messaged him and hoped for the best. Three days later he emailed me back. We talked about the most random things until he asked for my number. When he called we talked for hours and set up a date for the next week. Yeah, that really didn't stop us from talking and texting in between. Over the phone I was already impressed with how much he could make me laugh. 

With online dating I have a rule that the guy never comes to my house first. Call me crazy but I've been stalked once, not really excited to do it again. Shaun and I managed to both get stuck in traffic, but I did manage to beat him to the South Towne Mall. I nervously sat there gearing up to fake confidence. Shaun pulled up in a black Porsche Cayenne. Yeah call me impressed. I got out of the car and kinda stood there wondering what to do. Shaun told me later that I basically shocked him into silence. He said I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen and just had to take a minute to compose himself. 

Our date started with a trip to Noodles&Company where I began to learn of his love for cars. Our first date was one of the best ones I have ever been on. He took me to test drive a mini cooper, to tour around DownEast--where he earned his nickname Cozy Shag, to grab a Jamba Juice, to drive around and find some of the largest cement pads I have ever seen, and to sit in his car for hours talking about everything. At the end of the adventure he asked me to come to his friend's wedding the next day. Crazy as it was I canceled my other dates for the week and its simply history from there. 

A couple of weeks later Shaun was at my house and we had left to go on a great Sunday walk. He held my hand as we walked and just enjoyed the sunset. While walking back to my house we stopped to admire the sunset and started to debate if the sunset was more pink or orange. He turned to look at me sat there and then gave me the most amazing, sweet, and toe-curling kiss I had ever had. 

From there we were official. Between my work schedule and just life dating Shaun became part long distant part jumping from house to house. But every time I am with him or talk to him I always left with a smile on my face counting down the minutes until I could see him next.

The holidays came I met his family over Thanksgiving and he spent Christmas with me. He totally knows me and how I hunt down and attempt to figure out my presents. So he brought in 3 fake present instead of the real ones initially. He still laughs at my reaction to the present he gave me. New Year's was spent at his house while he laid sick as a dog. I played nurse and got him better. I even got my very first New Year's kiss!! Have I mentioned by this point I was pretty much sold. Shaun was everything I wanted and didn't know I needed in a guy. We talked about getting married and for me it was the easiest decision to make. 

We found the perfect ring just after New Year's and it turns out I have freakishly small fingers. So we ordered the ring and I not-so-patiently waited for him to propose. Shaun has an amazing poker face. Me not so much. Shaun totally had me fooled to when or how he would do it. He did, however, promise me he wouldn't do it on a major holiday. Especially Valentine's day. I was not planning nor expecting his proposal when it happened. 

February 1 had started off a little rough. Slow moving and just not feeling terribly excited about the day in General. I was super excited in the afternoon when we got a call to go help with a search! But it was cancelled. Well that night after shift change my co-worker mentioned he may have to go home and check on his kiddo who hadn't been feeling well.  About an hour into my shift He knocked on my door and asked for me to cover him. Seriously, not 20 min later dispatch calls us asking for the crew to go check out the pad for suspicious activity.  All decked out in my sweats and coat we headed over to the pad. Looking back now we took the long way around to the pad. Anna and I hoped out with Gerry right behind us. All the way over they kept mentioning how the last time this happened some creep had been found at the pad. The closer I got I recognized a bunch of candles arranged in a circle around the helipad. The first words out of my mouth were "Who the crap put candles around our helipad?" I honestly thought some group was doing something ritualistic. I started walking up when I saw a guy walking towards me. Didn't take me long to realize it was Shaun--who I was waiting for a call back. I really wasn't prepared for the rush of emotion I felt when I saw him walk towards me. He gave me a hug. Pulled out a box. Got down on one knee. Asked the question, "Melissa will you marry me?" I got a little teary as I bent down to kiss him while I said yes. I could hear Anna cheering in the background taking pictures for us. It was chilly, I was in my sweats, but I just smiled like a goofball as Shaun continued to kiss me and hug me. I knew it was coming and we've already made most of the wedding plans and even more plans, but sitting here with the sparkling ring on my finger it has hit me. I get to marry my best friend May 31, 2014. Seriously he is amazing and I can't wait to tackle this crazy life adventure with him. He makes me laugh and his hugs fix everything. 

 



Come to find out Shaun had stopped down on his way to Price to talk to my dad and showed my parents the ring. He had been planning this for weeks. He always knows how to surprise me and make me feel special. I love this man and can't wait to be with him more and more!





Even Jack is excited! Enzo and him are already best friends!

4 comments: