Friday, February 6, 2009

A Night In the Hole

I swear work was never going to end tonight. I was out in triage out tonight. Triage is the place where you go to check in and tell the first nurse what is going on. From the there the nurse gets vitals and assigns the patient a color of how bad they are. Its good to see what and how things come to the ER.

1st: A woman walks into my triage room and says my boyfriend is on his way--he shot himself. Soon enough they wheel him in with his jeans cut off above his knees. On the inside of his kneeare what looks like a million bug bites and a hole that oozing blood. on the outside of his knee is the same thing. Yeah come to find out that he had been cleaning his gun and shot his own leg. Poor man!! Luckily he only fractured part of the bone and didn't have an bullet fragments left.

2nd: A teenage girl comes in and says "I've swallowed a toothbrush." I has to ask for clarification. but yes she had swallowed and normal size toothbrush. Woulsn't tell anyone why she did it though. My doctor was not amused.

3rd: A young girl is brought in by her dad because he thinks she might have a urinary tract infection--nope its pinworms. How sad is that.

4th: A teenage boy comes in and says he has a growth on his toe. He pulls his sock off and I have to do a double take. It looks like a bug has exploded off his little toe. Seriously, it was yellow and black and fuzzy. One of the most random things I have ever seen. My doctor didn't believe me till he saw it and said, " that's really bizarre." I had to walk out of the room because I was laughing so hard.

5th: A girl around my age came in at 2am by ambulance because she couldn't stay awake. Well duh its 2am most of the world is asleep by then!!

6th: A cute little boy with a lisp came in because he cut his thumb open. He was adoarble and just kept smiling and loved looking at the fish.

That's a glimpse of what I see on a nightly basis. Gotta luv the chaos of the ER.

1 comment: